Monday, January 17, 2011

A Poster


This poster "The Golden Rule" by Norman Rockwell is hanging on the back of my bedroom door (it came with the house). Even though I know it's just a poster, every night I look at that poster and I wonder what their backgrounds are, what their stories are and how much I enjoy each of their faces.
This poster makes me think of my time here in Portland. There are different people I'm meeting, I'm learning some of there names, while others I may only pass by one time. Slowly I hear parts of their stories.
Honestly, at times it's awkward and uncomfortable. I ask myself and God questions each day about my time here, "How do I apply what I've learned?", "How do I love others?" How do I live my life as if I was an Outreach, even when Outreach ends?"
Through all of my questions there is so much I'm learning and experiencing...
~This week we learned more about Human Trafficking, it's overwhelming to learn what is going on right in my backyard. (for more info. go to http://www.acf.hhs.gov/trafficking/).
~We helped with a ministry downtown that feeds, clothes, and loves on homeless people.
(go to Night Strike to watch an intro. video
~We met a great guy who is the head of an after school program that we will be volunteering at.
~We had our first Small Group and 8 people from the church came.
~And last I now know the name of the night shift guy at our 7/11 (kinda like being in Thailand again, I can walk to 7/11 for breakfast..lol).
The End.

No comments: