
When working with children who come from all walks of life one is bound to see a little bit of everything.
Yesterday I had one of my after school programs, these kids are 4-5 graders, mainstream. It was a beautiful day and the first thing I heard when they got into the classroom was "do we have to be here". OK so this is like the 4 time we have been meeting so why might things change today?
All I heard was whining about being in art class, when was class over, if they could leave early and when they left could they go outside. Hello, 6pm as always, no and no. I finally told them to get a grip and deal with the fact this is how life is right now. No sooner did I give my little speech did I hear 3 boys yelling at each other. To my surprise one of the boys decided to use his glue stick on two of the small chairs and invite his friend to come and sit down. No joke, two library chairs smeared with glue stick!
I'm sure these kids love me now, because they ALL lost after school privileges for the entire week! Please don't get me wrong I'm not gloating in the fact they got in big time trouble, it's just unbelievable to me to see some of these kids behaviors. My self contained kids, who have these major issues never caused problems and never seemed to take life for granted. If anything this job has just really opened my heart and eyes to what is taking place in school and the breakdown of family values.
God bless all of these kids, for I know life is not easy for any of them!
1 comment:
One of my students had a bad day yesterday and a bad day today. When I asked him how today was going to be he said, "I will follow the directions." I asked "How do you plan to follow the directions." He looked at me and said, "I have no idea." - yup, that summs up my day . . . love ya
Post a Comment